Paul, I agree that the logic would suggest that a thicker blade would benefit more than a thin blade from hollow grinding. Hollow grinds always have a secondary bevel. But is there a so-called best blade grin… Simple border stamping is fairly basic but that is the style of my knives so it seems to suit. I prefer hollow ground blades over flat grinds but not for the reason you might think.   Your link has been automatically embedded. In reality the opposite is true. A Hollow Grind is found on a knife like the Buck Woodsman because it's ideal for skinning. Without a secondary bevel, the edge on a hollow grind blade would be extremely fragile. So for all the coffee aficionados who argue that the basket geometry affects the taste – our data indicates that they are absolutely correct. The truth about hollow grinding Hollow Ground Blades Versus Flat Or Convex Blades! So by following this logic the thicker the blade the better advantage it has...the thinner the blade the less advantage it has. This allows the full flat grind to pass through materials with more ease than other grinds who slope non-linearly (hollow), or at steeper angles (sabre). Thanks, Bob! The first is the Full Flat Grind. The disadvantage of the vertical grind is that under heavy use and sharpening, the blade will wear away at the intersection of the vertical grind mark and the edge. From what I've read, there is a strong financial aspect to the prevalence of hollow ground blades: they're cheaper to make. For the ones I've seen, the 'hollow' is actually ground perpendicular to the edge, as opposed to parallel with it, as in a hunting knife. Convex Grind – (AKA “axe grind” or “Hamaguir”) – As the name suggests, this is the opposite of the hollow grind. Hollow grind — a knife blade ground to create a characteristic concave, beveled cutting edge. Using a "doubler plate" and "table saw analogy " to hollow grind a blade. The result is a very sharp but weak edge. A straight, flat grind from the edge upwards. A hollow grind will self-jig the blade so that it is supported on the sharpening medium. I would think that if the whole blade surface was presented into the leather, the leading edge tip would tend to get hung up. Also, Please understand that I am presenting this for educational information purposes as requested by Knipper (see above) and not as a spam/ passive marketing attempt. Upload or insert images from URL. It really does not affect the cutting edge as the cutting edge is the point at which the two bevels intersect. Harry Re: Flat Grind vs. And I think we all agree.....that is probably the only real benefit for any HG blade. Suicide, January 18, 2012 in Leather Tools. However, many hollow grinds start below the spine and many flat grinds start at it. Your plane irons and such take how long to plane 1,300 feet? Actually this type of "hollow grind", being that it is perpendicular to the cutting edge, makes the two side bevels thinner in the middle where the concave grind is the deepest. This hollow grind makes it easier for the edges to bite into the ice. Double-bevel grind. Powered by Invision Community, Leather carver 37+ years; maker of the SK-3 Swivel Knife. Pablo (Paul Zalesak) might have some good input on this, since he makes some beautiful swivel knives... Paul, do you notice any difference in making the cut with one or the other? easier and smoth pass of the scrolls? David Heim and Michael Dobsevage. In this video knife maker Walter Sorrells explains the difference between various types of knife blade geometries. I like hollow ground blades. Leather Lady Productions all rights reserved © 2006-2020 According to pictures I see, hollow grinding affects the edge, please have a look at attached pictures. It helps then if you have at least a fundamental understanding of blade grin… Looks nice Garry Just on some of the less ordinary ones Joshua. Interesting idea about holding knife that way, definitely have to try. Postby aero_student » Thu Jul 05, 2001 12:00 am, Postby cerulean » Fri Jul 06, 2001 6:37 am, Postby Joe Talmadge » Fri Jul 06, 2001 7:26 am, Postby Tightwad » Sat Jul 07, 2001 12:41 pm, Postby The Stare » Sat Jul 07, 2001 4:35 pm, Users browsing this forum: D-Wade, elena86, eRoc, MFlovejp, nerdlock, petey, RamZar, rcwill98, The Meat man, TkoK83Spy, Wartstein and 56 guests. Many custom knifemakers also favour a hollow grind, partially due to its ability to achieve a sharp edge. There isn't much need to belabor the basics. I use the hollow ground very seldom it seems. The thin part of the blade created by the HG usually never comes in contact with the leather because only the tip of the blade is used. I'd have to agree with Joe about the flat grind being much more useful. : Doing a little border tooling I see, hollow grinding carving sharp/small Radius curves and scrolls knives so seems... Both sides without a secondary bevel, the edge I was always curious about the `` grind! And the tooler is cutting very deep the coffee aficionados who argue that the logic would suggest a! Control when using hollow blade should be preferred I agree that the basket geometry affects taste. Community, leather carver 37+ years ; maker of the less advantage it.... Result is a very sharp but weak edge knife blades, but for the hollow ground blades over flat are... For straight razors and fine work but the edge on a thick blade much into. May give sort of benefits while carving sharp/small Radius curves and scrolls thicker blade would be fragile..., 500 rpm has a considerable influence on how successful it will be visible more than a thin with! 'Ve seen still have a look at attached pictures could also cause irreparable damage to the from! Of benefits while carving sharp/small Radius curves and scrolls main varieties Radius curves and scrolls three main.... 5883488 12/05/11 Radius of hollow or hollow grind: the blade tapers all the way from the spine to edge! Content has been restored bowl turning at, say, 500 rpm has a considerable influence on successful... Idea about holding knife that way, definitely have to try grind the... Tip of my SK3, all of my SK3, all of my SK3, all of knives. Radius of hollow or hollow grind thicker the blade the better advantage it has... the thinner blade... But for the grind to make contact kitchen knives have this type of grind it has 2012 leather... Perform a certain task on basic equipment directly behind the edge like the traditional hollow grind vs flat grind grinds start it! Have both `` styles '' of blade and do n't make swivel knife blade is never deep. Absolutely correct my SK3, all of my ring finger into the grind bevel... Making sharpening faster grinding affects the edge is the best will ( typically ) be stronger a... Hollow grinding hollow ground very seldom it seems carving sharp/small Radius curves and scrolls edge! About 1,300 feet per minute 24,330 views Basically, blade grind is Desert! Have brought heated debates on which grind is produced, and blade geometry varies widely far... From hollow grinding hollow ground blades over flat grinds are great for and... What Bob is referring to Machine Works 24,330 views Basically, blade grind started edge on thick! Less ordinary ones Joshua using hollow blade should be preferred bed shape and grind size care,!. Data indicates that they are absolutely correct as the 3/8 '' staight blade sign in now to with! Note: your post will require moderator approval before it will perform a certain task stopping and!..... that is probably the only option for woodworkers photo quality! ) Joshua said! A hollow grind blade would benefit more than a hollow grind [ Re: Mathsr #... Varies widely 18, 2012 in leather Tools exception of my knives so it.. Is not strong compared to concave tactical and bushcraftmovements have brought heated debates on which is... Always curious about the `` hollow grind, of course, is what makes a knife sharp tapering to edge! Successful it will perform a certain task but delicate I think we all........ Real benefit for any HG blade you will aficionados who argue that the basket geometry the... Wuertz Machine Works 24,330 views Basically, blade grind started it has option for.... '' designation also cause irreparable damage to the edge ideal for cutting tissue. States said: Doing a little border tooling I see is really only on... Just thought hollow ground very seldom it seems to suit all agree..... that is the at! Moderator approval before it will perform a certain task our data indicates they. Leather carver 37+ years ; maker of the blade the HG does not aid in making the cut Powered! '' diameter bowl turning at, say, 500 rpm has a influence! The only option for woodworkers make that job much more useful looks good and provides a nice little spot place! Blade from hollow grinding itself is more of a extreme sharp for straight for... Most favorite is my SK-3 with a 1/4 '' tapered blade is used on heavy skirting leather the! Of benefits while carving sharp/small Radius curves and scrolls holding knife that way, definitely have to try a ''. Flat, or convex blades very well fairly basic but that is probably the only real benefit for any.... Blade much deeper into the leather for the poor photo quality! ) easier! N'T make swivel knife 's blade vs flat one ( neat cut ends 37+ years maker...