The Pixar-produced film follows their hilarious once-in-a-lifetime adventure and the encounters they have with others along the way. As they camp out in nature, the remote location forms a backdrop for their potential redemption, as well as plenty of improvised humour.• YouTube, Google Play, BFI PlayerGuardian review, You wouldn’t want to re-live the journey these characters make, but the landscape looks remarkable from the safety of your sofa. All rights reserved. What a great list! Accidentally stowed away as the house takes flight is an excitable eight-year-old wilderness explorer named Russell. Romance, conflict, and jealousy pop up as they begin to learn more about each other. American friends Rebecca Hall and Scarlett Johansson vacation in Barcelona and meet artist Javier Bardem, who invites them to spend a weekend with him. From Brazil to Peru, we not only see amazing images of desert and rainforest, but also the true story of the poverty in Latin America. This counterculture film is the tale of a search for freedom in a corrupt and conformist America. Based on a true story, it tells of a young Indian boy, Saroo (Sunny Pawar) who accidentally boards a train to Kolkata and becomes homeless. Based on the true story of her journey of self-discovery, she meets National Geographic photographer Rick Smolan along the way who begins to document her journey. This travel adventure documentary follows the pair from Mumbai to Chennai as they encounter travel woes such as a temperamental vehicle, terrible weather, and bureaucratic police. But, as any good time-travel fan can tell you, changing the past means there will be unintended consequences in the future. Does 2020 have you googling “best time-travel movies” as a last-resort attempt to try and transport yourself to a different version of reality? If you’re a romantic, this should top your list of best travel movies of all time. A severe snowstorm gives them the perfect opportunity to break out and seek refuge, but the true challenge begins when the group has to travel 4,000 miles by foot through hostile terrain and the frozen Himalayas to their freedom in India. Most of it was filmed around the Auckland area, and includes jaw-dropping scenery that Hec describes as “majestical”.• BFI Player, Amazon, Google Play, Sky StoreThe landscapes behind Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Follow in the pilgrims’ footsteps with this touching, meditative drama starring Martin Sheen as a grieving father who decides to walk the ancient spiritual trail after the death of his son (played by Sheen’s son, Emilio Estevez, who also directs). The European exoticism gives you a sense of “travel time”, where one day can feel like a lifetime. This movie will definitely make you think and evaluate your life and happiness. Though the film was shot mainly in Rajasthan, the fictional route also convincingly takes in the Himalayas – and reminds you of the wonders of train travel abroad.• Amazon, YouTube/Google Play, Sky StoreGuardian review, A train to Vienna is the romantic setting for this cult drama starring Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke. After Louise shoots a would-be rapist, the two flee from the law in a ‘66 Thunderbird. Inheriting a chateau and vineyard in Provence that he prepares to sell, Crowe falls in love with the simple life of the French countryside and a local beauty. I have seen a lot that have certainly made me want to travel there and I am looking forward to seeing the rest. So Palm Springs is not technically a time-travel movie, but it's definitely time-travel adjacent. Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson star in this romantic comedy-drama about Bob and Charlotte who create an unlikely bond after meeting in the bar of their Tokyo hotel. I have work to do! Their interactions with historical figures are very righteous, and you'll want to watch the original film in preparation for the upcoming reboot. © 2020 Condé Nast. If not, you will be after you check out the best travel movies ever! Definitely gives me some ideas for my next Netflix & Chill session! After his son is killed in a storm in the Pyrenees while tackling Spain’s Camino de Santiago, American doctor Thomas Avery, played by Martin Sheen, heads to France to retrieve his son’s ashes. No, just us? These are some great movies. It is shameful to say that I have just about seen half them only. The great scenery and the interesting family members make this romantic comedy a great addition to your list of best travel movies. Their dream of adventure and test of endurance takes them through 19 time zones in just 115 days, and they also visited UNICEF projects along the way. They live like tourists and have several bizarre encounters as they wait for the call from Ralph Fiennes, their crime lord boss. Touching on issues such as the hippie movement, drug use, and the communal lifestyle, Easy Rider will open your eyes to some of the tensions that plagued the United States in the 1960’s. From Rome to the Amazon, in these 20 films stunning locations play a starring role – and they’re all on now at a laptop or TV near you Producer Mark Magidson says the goal of this film “was to reach past language, nationality, religion and politics and speak to the inner viewer”. This DVD set and British television series follows the 20,000-mile motorcycle journey of Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman. With power and prestige, this non-narrative​ ​documentary​ ​is​ ​unequaled​ ​in​ ​beauty,​ ​sensitivity,​ ​and​ ​the​ ​perception​ ​of our​ ​world.​ It transcends language and geography, and helps us look at the planet in a different way. Based on the novel by the same name, aspiring writer Sal is jolted into action by new friends Dean and Marylou. Refine See titles to watch instantly, titles you haven't rated, etc. He meets and begins tutoring the young Dalai Lama as the Chinese plan to take over Tibet. Ben searches for meaning in life as he travels from Toronto to Vancouver Island. Director Jean-Marc Vallée was adamant that the movie be shot entirely on location: the journey starts in the Mojave Desert, heads up to Mount Hood – the highest point in Oregon – and the magnificent Crater Lake, before culminating in the iconic Bridge of the Gods in Cascade Locks on the Oregon/Washington border.• Netflix, Google Play, Sky Store.Read the Guardian review, Another memoir adaptation, Tracks stars a young Mia Wasikowska as Robyn Davidson, who spent nine months trekking across the Australian desert on camels. Let us know what you think of the new ones you watch :). For a goofy comedy, watch Hot Tub Time Machine or Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. Few things bring out the wanderlust more than Indiana Jones movies. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set. Brad Pitt was nominated for Best Supporting Actor for his role in the film. This six-part nature documentary series gives an in-depth look at China’s greatest natural wonders. For surfers, one of the best travel movies ever finds surfer and filmmaker Bruce Brown following world-class surfers Michael Hynson and Robert August across the world in search of the perfect wave. Magically, she finds herself reliving her senior year and she's faced with whether or not to change some of the choices she grew to regret as an adult. Eat Pray Love and Under the Tuscan Sun are my favorites! I get indecisive sometimes lol so I’m not sure that I have an absolute favorite. This film follows two teenagers and an older woman who set out on a road trip through Mexico to find a hidden beach that doesn’t exist. Christopher Reeve stars as a playwright who becomes obsessed with the photograph of a woman from 1912 (Jane Seymour), to the point that he magically finds himself transported back in time to find her. The thing is, when he wakes up, he discovers that humans have become so unintelligent that he's now the smartest person in the whole wide world. Or maybe you're just out of things to watch. Liguria, Tuscany, Rome, Amalfi, and Capri are highlighted as the duo indulges in lavish meals, witty impressions, and eccentric conversations. A Cardiff couple travel to Patagonia where they are guided by a Welsh-Argentine guide (Matthew Rhys). In this comedy, Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson play Irish hitmen who are forced to hole up in Bruges, Belgium after a job gone bad. Said deer is short-lived, however, as a pack of children led by Bodevan (George MacKay) slaughter it and take it home for tea with their father (Viggo Mortensen – who’s also in On the Road). They decide to heed the call of adventure and travel the United States to find themselves. Get ready to be inspired by Indy’s fun and wild adventures! Talk about complicated family dynamics, right? Thanks for the suggestions. Evil is trying to steal Austin’s “mojo,” and along with Heather Graham's Felicity Shagwell, the international man of mystery tries to thwart the bad guys. This beautiful love story gives an honest look at travel relationships. The awe-inspiring television series will open your eyes to the greatest natural wonders of the world. The unrated film isn’t for everyone, but it’s another good example of a coming of age travel experience. The three-day road trip of these unlikely friends finds their personalities clashing as they set out to get the ashes of Vincent’s recently-deceased mother to the ocean. The follow-up to Long Way Round, Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman once again set off on their motorcycles. The motorcycle journey of Gaurav Jani is nothing short of astonishing. Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy play American Jesse and French Celine, who meet on a train in Europe. Did we mention this was also produced by Spike Lee? Though terminal cancer is not a happy subject to discuss, the movie is both enlightening and inspiring. Now I know what I should do with my free time :) :), Lol yes, watching the rest of them will definitely be a great way to spend your free time! Hitting the road in their tour bus named Priscilla, two drag queens and a transgender woman travel across Australia performing their unique cabaret act. Thanks! In Looper's version of the future, which was directed by Rian Johnson, time travel totally exists—if you can afford to pay for it on the black market. Fulfilling a promise to his dead wife, 78-year-old balloon salesman Carl Fredricksen ties thousands of balloons to his house and flies away to explore the South American wilderness.