And in similarly-small MIlton, even councillors who also have a seat at the regional level made less than Pickering regional  councillors. Aside from being cities in B.C., not much unites Revelstoke and Victoria — one a resource and ski town in the Interior with 7,000 people, the other a coastal provincial capital with around 90,000 people. Shift Information: Various Shifts, 35 hours per week. Please try again. We hope to have this fixed soon. "One hundred years ago maybe sanitation and water sewer and roads were were enough for some members of the public," he said. It is a priority for CBC to create a website that is accessible to all Canadians including people with visual, hearing, motor and cognitive challenges. Younker put forward a proposal to raise the salary of councillors in Revelstoke over three years to $25,000 from $15,000, and the salary of Mayor Gary Sulz to $75,000 from $30,000. Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. Her chief of staff, Tom Gleason, responded Wednesday that Carroll is “well on the record” as being predominantly a car driver. By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Audience Relations, CBC P.O. "I would probably not vote to give myself a raise. Mayor John Tory topped out at $192,503, according to his office. ", Michael Smee has worked in print, radio, TV and online journalism for many years. Comments are welcome while open. Reporting to the Director, Strategy and Preventive Health this position provides strategic advice and leadership on policy and strategic issues to ensure…. Department Planning and Infrastructure Department. "It's at the opposite end of the spectrum. (Ernest Doroszuk,Toronto Sun), Councillor Brad Bradford on Wednesday, Jan. 23, 2019. Follows up on requests/inquiries made by the Councillor to City staff. Ana Bailão (born August 10, 1976) is a Canadian politician who has served as the deputy mayor of Toronto representing Toronto and East York since 2017. City records show Matlow has also spent more than $18,000 on a constituency office and communications with constituents. Learn how to enable cookies. Ben Isitt, who put forward the proposal. "I think it's important that you pay people appropriately so you get professional people,". Matlow, who has been battling constantly in council against the province’s transit plan, resides in a ward where it is easy to get to places by walking, biking or taking transit. "I have other employment; I wouldn't suggest it's full time but I do have the flexibility to allow myself to have two responsibilities," he said. What to pay councillors has been a contentious issue at City Hall in the past, with Mayor Ford – who regularly rails against council spending – refusing to accept pay hikes in the past. City expense records show at least two councillors who zealously backed Vision 2.0 and Toronto’s grandiose cycling plan at July’s council meeting charged taxpayers for copious amounts of parking and mileage. By continuing to use our site, you agree to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Toronto's executive committee is set to discuss raising the salaries for the next mayor and council – including a proposal to raise councillors' pay by almost 13 per cent. This article was published more than 6 years ago. Glassdoor will not work properly unless browser cookie support is enabled. Posting Period: 21-Oct-2020 to 10-Nov-2020. and 1.7 km. Thank you for your patience. Ramsay says balancing her $37,466 elected position with her second job is difficult — she's taken 26 unpaid days off this year because of council duties — but she won't be pushing for a raise. And since all 11 Mississauga councillors automatically win a seat on Peel Region's council too, another paycheque, about $65,000 in salary and benefits annually, is tacked on. Postmedia is committed to maintaining a lively but civil forum for discussion and encourage all readers to share their views on our articles. LEVY: Expenses show Toronto councillors not practising what they preach, Toronto Councillor Shelley Carroll in council chambers at City Hall on Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2019. "A lot of the city councillors [when this came up last year] said, 'I'm not in it for the money, I'm in it because I care about my community," she said. A free inside look at City of Toronto salary trends based on 847 salaries wages for 477 jobs at City of Toronto. That gap has led one Toronto councillor to call on the province to regulate the pay of municipal politicians — including his own. In both cases, the argument behind the proposal is the same — local leaders should be able to consider their role a full-time job. If you live in B.C., here's how much your mayor and councillors make, B.C. (Ernest Doroszuk/Toronto Sun), Councillor Josh Matlow speaks at council during debate in the 2017 budget on July 12, 2016. 365 Bloor Street East, Toronto, Ontario, M4W 3L4. In Pickering, Coun. And with an election timed for the end of October, it's likely they'll waive it again and forego a hike. Expenses for my own councillor Josh Matlow showed $447.01 was spent to reimburse him for mileage from January to June. By 2017, Moncton councillors will earn $33,494.53, an increase from their current salary of $24,789.72. Councillors in Brock, which is in northern Durham Region,  started with a base pay last year of just $19,124. His chief of staff Rishab Mehan said Ng-Hem is no longer doing work for Toronto Hustle — which is a “professional cycling group” trying to raise the profile of racing in different parts of the city and in North America.