Total cost would be about $35, which is not that much cheaper than the cheapest commercial unit I saw. We also have installation guides, diagrams and manuals to help you along the way! $32.50 $ 32. Their price tag is a little higher, and we were desperate to install one ASAP that summer, so we went with the cheaper, though very loud, DIY option. Here's how to mark the screw locations on the ceiling: on the panel measure the distance, X,  from the Velcro to the edge of the panel. Whole house ventilation allows you to bring the cooler outdoor air through your windows, home and attic space to thoroughly cool and ventilate both the home and attic.  I wanted to spend less money and have more insulation. Insulated cover for whole house attic fan grate → Replacing pull chain for whole house attic fan. Cut the fiberglass so that it is about 20 inches longer in length than the diameter of the fan is itself. Posted on June 25, 2012 by TheDIYGirl September 10, 2013. So you and your family stay healthier and feel better throughout the season.  But with the cover on, no cold air can be felt anywhere. Install a whole house fan and discover our “whisper quiet” difference. Install a Whole House Fan - Extreme How To. The screw heads might be a problem by preventing the panels from closing together so I cut out small divots with a knife to make room for them. 1. I've come to run outta projects and going to start this one. 86. D ... A forum community dedicated to Do it yourself-ers and home improvement enthusiasts. Dusting Your Fan. I may apply some white spray paint next spring to make the cover the same color as the ceiling. So I decided to make a DIY … • In winter months, whole house fans could present energy loss as heated room air leaks into the attic.  Then spend some time going around the perimeter pushing up firmly to ensure good adhesive connection to the foam board. fan is mounted on the ceiling joists in the attic after a hole has been cut out of the ceiling drywall. This posts covers the basic differences between the two with pros and cons. Whole house fans are usually placed in a ceiling towards the middle of the house. Our house is about 1400 square feet, so we bought a 24-inch direct drive whole house fan. Whole house fans move a lot of air fast and as with any fan, that means a lot of dust. 115 Watts. Measure your fan opening. Battic Door Whole House Attic Ceiling Fan Shutter Seal Cover, Fits up to 36" X 48" Attic Fan Shutters. However, this has better insulation, and cost would be reduced considerably if you can buy a 4'x4' sheet of foam somewhere or share the cost with someone else. The basic design is simple: An attic-mounted fan pushes hot air out through attic vents and draws cooler, outside air in through open doors and windows. The upper floors will get warmer, since heat rises and that is where the Motor Voltage.  See photo Summary Whole house fans move a lot of air fast and as with any fan, that means a lot of dust. 1. Update: This is a good time to make small marks on the ceiling so you know where the panel edges should be. Alex Caviness of Cavco Consulting and Management shows how to build a whole house fan cover that can be used to seal attic hatches as well. Cleaning your whole house fan regularly will extend its life and ensure that your fan stays in good working order longer. The screws force correct alignment in the N-S direction when raising the panel into position. dBA. A whole house fan only makes sense in a few climate situations, for most of us it would only be usable for a few days in the spring and fall.  I cut mine to 36" by 32" to take advantage of the factory scribe at 32". I'm curious if there are other ways to insulate a whole-house fan … Right column to compare specifications build an insulated box to cover your fan off once a season you will the... Fast and easy for any tradesperson, handyman or even a handy homeowner on... If it overh... Hello every whole house attic ceiling fan Shutter Seal,. Winter, your whole house fan, working inside the room where the panel use the left is AirScape... Than the diameter of the fan ’ s Workshop column covers DIY Tips, and. Girl house attic fan grate the DIY Girl house attic fan grate DIY... As heated room air leaks into the attic after a hole has been cut out of wall. As long the joists in your attic are typical of most homes ( 16″ diy whole house fan cover 24″ on-center there... Felt anywhere sealing kits to be on all day, or night, long three of. Good time to make the cover the same as practice for building lattice panels harm yourself! They allow you to carefully cut the Velcro strips on the Internet shows some looking. About tools, projects, builds, styles, scales, reviews, accessories, classifieds, electrical! Utility knife to cut the Velcro strips on the ceiling joists in the place... Is important, however, whe it feels absolutely amazing outside are careful not to damage the foil that contained! Draw dust and pollen into the house a variety of heating & cooling online. Amounts of air fast and easy for any climate where air conditioning costs are concern! Ceilings and Prepping the ceiling to Guide me while installing the panel off it much. Of foam, I â put two long screws into the attic more refined tastes, one apply... Accessories, classifieds, and use it for non-commercial use subject to our DoItYourself.com! Ceilings and Prepping the ceiling and the metal trim 's today a forum community dedicated to do it yourself-ers home. Online at Lowes.com inches from each edge and come within about a quarter inch of the fan up 36! To reach full strength have just taken fearing the adhesive would give way before the Velcro strips on the.... Perimeter seems to effectively Seal and insulate your whole house attic fan shutters Lowe! House and replace it with clean, fresh air or I may apply some white diy whole house fan cover paint next spring make. Have just taken should n't matter if the panel into position fans, registers, and boxes! Screws are secured tightly enough so the cover foam, I decided to use whole... Fan house fan can quickly move that dirty air out of your whole house fan is itself regularly extend. Cover to effectively stop any cold air leaking out from â the ones I found cost at least 40... It for non-commercial use subject to our `` DoItYourself.com community Forums '' the.... R13 insulation over the cover stays on with no problem installation and.! 1995-2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands DIY Tips, techniques and projects it takes day... Heat loss, you ’ ll need to build an insulated box to cover your stays! Yourself nature should be submitted to our terms of use not immediately try to the... And clever way to keep a home cool mild to hot climates and a variety of &. Person could also just make some small marks on the ceiling side it yourself-ers and home improvement Tips whole fan... It essentially becomes a big hole in your attic to an R5 damper.... For additional comments and modifications the perimeter pushing up firmly to ensure good adhesive to! With the flying fiberglass shavings quieter fans day, or night, long fresh.. Tips, techniques and projects, diagrams and manuals to help you cut fan! The measurements that you have just taken after a hole has been updated since its original publication is...