Some say that Countess Elizabeth Báthory, considered by many to be the world’s worst female serial killer, was the true inspiration for Bram Stoker’s Dracula. Like sexy and manipulative, almost Catherine Tramell-like Elisabeth in "Eternal" (2004). Sequel to the hugely successful Ripper:Letter from Hell. "Blood Countess" is a sexpolitation movie that can be viewed as a part of the recent trend, trying to resurrect the legend of Elisabeth Bathory. Please login or register first to view this content. With that said. But, like most events in history, her story is complicated. Bathory was finally formally indicted for a frightful litany of crimes in 1610. She makes Vlad the Impaler and Dracula … When she was too sick to get out of bed to beat them, Elizabeth would order her servants to bring up a girl to her quarters where she would bite their faces and shoulders. I like that it blends empathy for the countess with the grotesque and some sort of morbid fascination in almost equal parts. According to the Guinness World Records, Báthory is the most prolific female murderer and the most prolific murderer of the western world. The daughters of local peasants, these victims had been lured to the estate by offers of work as maids or servants in the castle. A good read all around. And last but not least, Elisabeth's own diary, that falls in the hands of two lesbians, who dream of becoming true vampires ("Night Fangs", 2005)... Czech Republic alongside with Slovakia has given us the latest and much more serious examination of Countess' persona. Two court officials claimed that they personally witnessed Báthory torture and kill young servant girls. Thurzó arrested Báthory at the castle along with four alleged accomplices. Looking for some great streaming picks? Elizabeth Bathory severance package, for a servant and minor noblewoman, wasn’t exactly Amnesty International approved. The details and sinful wickedness of her acts, not to mention the fact that it took authorities so many years to actually apprehend her transformed into a political scandal of untold proportions. Báthory would stay in the castle until her death in 1614 at the age of 54. Building upon her own cruelty, it is believed that Ferenc showed her some of his own ways of punishing his servants. Is Elizabeth back? So if you complain about that, well, you are trapped in an impoverished reality. Add the first question. It is not light hearted. Not great literautre but some creepy sex scenes are worth the read. Whether you love the horror genre or just tiptoe into it ahead of Halloween, we have book picks for every level of scared you want to... Andrei Codrescu, NPR commentator and journalist, has written a fascinating first novel based on the life of his real-life ancestor, Elizabeth Bathory, the legendary Blood Countess. I tried once to read them, but then decided it was a waste of time. The couple’s first child was born 10 years later, in 1585. He is determined not to let this happen but will Elizabeth once again be able to force someone to do her bidding? Since the book was supposed to be about Elizabeth Bathory, I nabbed it as well at the flea market. One of her uncles taught her Satanism, and she learned about sadomasochism from her aunt. After her marriage, the countess became the mistress of the Nádasdy estate, where the couple earned a reputation as harsh masters. Elizabeth Bathory when asked how she thought the Lord would judge her. Some witnesses told Thurzó of relatives who had died while at Báthory’s gynaecium. Was she a cold-blooded, tortured murderer? But Nora is greedy and while the Countess occupies herself with her new pawns at another castle, Nora and her soldiers raid a village seeking a group of peasant women. by Dell Publishing Company. Told by Countess Elizabeth Bathory's direct descendant, Drake Bathory-Kereshtur, a Hungarian, living in New York. Or computer age Elisabeth, killing her victims via Internet in "Stay Alive" (2006). She was born into prominent nobility. Báthory's servants were accused of being her accomplices and were put on trial, while the Countess' influence and social status kept her from it. The Scourge of Smallpox in the Americas, 5 Facts about the Indian Contribution During World War Two. Nádasdy is said to have had the lover castrated and torn to pieces by dogs. Her family tree certainly included some disturbed kin as well. It is dark, bloody and disturbing but you should expect as much! I would have to say this is defintly up in the top 10 fave books about the Countess. It is possible that Báthory’s wealth and power made her a perceived threat to leaders of Hungary, whose political landscape was overrun with major rivalries at the time. Codrescu, being of Balkan descent himself, shows a deep appreciation for the medieval heart and mind of a strong-willed and strange woman. Elizabeth Báthory, the most prolific serial killer and feared woman in history, finds everlasting life through virgin blood. The S&M and asphyxiation scenes later in the novel weren't really to my taste, but it isn't the most disturbing book out there. Copyright © 2020 Haymarket Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved Bathory, no stranger to the biting chill of the night, and the call of violence reveled in her husband’s fascination. It was a sentence that only lasted four years. Bathory would take them, and clean them with milk, honey, and olive oil, and then she, along with her minions, would hang them by their ankles over a tub. Countess Dracula is a 1971 British Hammer horror film based on the legends surrounding the "Blood Countess" Elizabeth Báthory.. About the Countess. Everything revolved around some sort of sexual perversion, and I highly doubt something as complex as Bathory's wish for youth was solely sexual. Bathory was one hell of a disturbed soul! Based on a story of Countess Bathory, a serial killer in 16th century Transylvania who supposedly killed hundreds of children. The novel, rich with detail, moves back and forth between the past and the present. I would have to say this is defintly up in the top 10 fave books about the Countess. History is always interesting and The Blood Countess doesn't let you down. Her servants were sentenced to death, but Elizabeth was imprisoned for life in a room in her own castle that was boarded up with tiny slits for food and air. Think Berlusconi… only instead of a sex-scandal much MUCH worse. The Blood Countess was disturbing but I guiltily admit I enjoyed the history- it was fascinating. During a night raid, officials searched the castle and discovered the dead bodies of young girls everywhere they looked. Whatever, her motivations, this woman was not a nice lady. Báthory was suspected of having committed many forms of torture on her victims. In 1602, a priest addressed a letter to the ruling courts of Transylvania discussing the unwarranted brutality exhibited by Bathory and her husband towards their servants. It's a little odd at times, and can be quite gruesome, but the subject is gruesome. In 1575, Báthory married Ferenc Nádasdy, the son of a baron and another member of the aristocracy. "Blood Countess", directed by Lloyd A. Simandl is nothing but softcore fare, filled with mildly sadistic sleaze. This novel goes into and gives you a sense of why she co. Posted on August 7, 2020 . Countess Elizabeth Bathory of Hungary (1560-1613) was beautiful, and wealthy beyond measure at the age of sixteen. Báthory was said to have enjoyed drinking the blood of virgins, believing that it would preserve her beauty and youthfulness. But that marriage was really a tipping point for Bathory. In my opinion, they are completely unnecessary. This is perhaps the only book I know of that has endorsements from William S. Burroughs and Tom Robbins. Was this review helpful to you? At the tender age of 11, Bathory, who was considered an elegant, beautiful and well-educated miss, became betrothed to Count Ferenc Nadasdy. She was imprisoned within the Castle of Csejte, in Upper Hungary (now Slovakia). However, demanding to bathe in mare's milk and virgin's blood goes a long way to make the list. The Countess was reportedly locked in a set of rooms, with only small slits left open for ventilation and the passing of food. Set in XVII century, it presents one typical day from Elisabeth's life. How to Win an Election in the Roman Republic. Training them in noble ways she introduces one of them to the Countess as a Baroness. You must be a registered user to use the IMDb rating plugin. I confess that I have repeatedly skipped the modern-day chapters of this book. Worried of losing her looks the Countess took the advice of Darvulia her spiritual advisor, to take baths in the blood of virgins to regenerate her body. © 2020 Copyright Salem Ghosts. It’s said that this is when the madness began and Elizabeth started to bathe in the blood of virgin girls. 2003- You might have heard of Countess Elizabeth Bathory of Hungary. Title: But what about other recent movie from Czech Republic, dealing with the subject? This novel tells two stories, side by side. Countess Elizabeth Báthory de Ecsed (1560-1614) was a Hungarian noblewoman and reputed serial killer of hundreds of young women in the 16th and 17th centuries.eval(ez_write_tag([[336,280],'historyhit_com-box-3','ezslot_0',142,'0','0'])); Stories of her sadism and brutality quickly became part of national folklore, her infamy earning her the nickname “The Blood Countess” or “Countess Dracula”. It's very well-written, but well-written and detailed about extreme, deviant, and psychopathic violence and sex, and sex as violence, and violence as sex. July 2nd 1996 In the classic Hammer flick she was even called "Countess Dracula". Cheesy but entertaining. Although Andrei Codrescu undeniably writes very well, I can't help but come away from this book thinking the man has severe issues! As Drake starts to learn more about his ancestor, he becomes more caught up with her story and begins to believe that she is trying to come back to life through a vessel. On August 22, 1614, was found dead in her prison cell. Basically the story of a woman in the sixteenth century who is both spoiled and unable to comply with the definitions of Luther's "complacent" woman, she is thirsty for experience and knowledge, which eventually leads her down a dark and doomed path.