Not knowing what to do, I asked a couple if i could sit down. Ghosts of Good Times: South Louisiana Dance Halls Past and Present examines a world of Cajun dance halls, Zydeco clubs, Chitlin' Circuit R&B night clubs, Swamp-Pop Honkytonks and other venues that at one time were prevalent throughout the region. 103 Followers, 34 Following, 3 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Louisiana Dancehalls (@louisianadancehalls) Old or new, they are icons, a proud south Louisiana legacy of Good Times. by Herman Fuselier and Philip Gould Ghosts of Good Times: South Louisiana Dance Halls Past and Present examines a world of Cajun dance halls, Zydeco clubs, Chitlin’ Circuit R&B night clubs, Swamp-Pop Honkytonks and other venues that at one time were prevalent throughout the region. Follow the story of one of America’s most unique immigrant communities! Dylan Aucoin and the Judice Ramblers played great traditional Cajun music, and the dance floor was full all night long. See reviews, photos, directions, phone numbers and more for the best Dance Halls in Lafayette, LA. 3.9K likes. [Philip Gould] -- "Ghosts of Good Times: South Louisiana Dance Halls Past and Present examines a world of Cajun dance halls, Zydeco clubs, Chitlin? Sparkle Waltz, OST Special, Blue Goose Special, and Chinaball Special. Louisiana Dance Halls. Once as widespread as parish churches,these institutions now are an endangered part of Louisiana’s cultural landscape. It didn’t take long to find out that all of these songs are named for old dancehalls- many long since closed. Do you have more (or conflicting) information about one of the dancehall listings? Louisiana Dance Halls. Evolution of the Salle de Danse. Louisiana Dance Halls is a member of Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them. It was opened in 1985 and continues to be active today.” El Sid O’s We would love to hear from you! Do you know of a dancehall that isn’t listed here? Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube. There was a time when dance halls were a part of nearly every community in South Louisiana. My presentation will begin where my dance hall life in Louisiana began in 1974, with the Blue Moon Cajun Dance Hall in New Iberia, which closed in 1978. Louisiana Dance halls on Display for Festivals Acadiens et Créoles 2016 Exhibit, symposium and film to focus on Cajun dance hall and Zydeco clubs, along with the musicians who played them, as part of the official FAetC lineup Oct. 13-16. 201 likes. Community page to document Louisiana Dancehalls, past and present. The surviving old dance halls and newer venues are still in full swing. I HIGHLY recommend dancing there, especially when there's a heavy-set couple dancing nearby. I’m a photographer. Louisiana Dance Halls. Dance halls were once an essential part of South Louisiana culture, with dozens if not hundreds dotting the landscape. “D” Esquire Lounge East Hwy, 14 Kaplan, Louisiana Phone MI 3-9213 LouisianaDancehalls.com reader comment- Mark Prevost: “…my uncle John Blanchard used to own (The ‘D’ Esquire Lounge) back in the early 60’s. Mentioned in “Louisiana Fiddlers” by Ron Yule and Bill Burge: Country, swing, and old time fiddler Ray Beebe played there in 1960 in place of Leon Melder when Melder’s hand was out with a cut hand. Cajun Dance Halls in Lafayette on YP.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. Zydeco, Cajun, Funk, Brass Bands, Swamp Pop … and more! Dance Halls overall, even dance halls in Louisiana, even dance halls in south Louisiana are very complicated. Evolution of the Salle de Danse. In more recent years, dance halls offer alcohol and amplified dance music. They were from France! 7 reviews of La Poussiere "If you want an authentic Louisiana dancehall experience, start here. Louisiana Dance Hall. Top notch bands, big roomy dance floor, full bar & friendly down home service. Dance Halls in Lafayette on YP.com. John Sharp is piecing together the story of Louisiana dance halls one anecdote, grainy black and white photo, and playbill at a time. Please feel free … 3.8K likes. We were there the night before Mardi Gras and enjoyed the gumbo, cold beer and music. It’s very difficult to box them in, which is exactly what you’re trying to do with this form. Unknown dancehall- can you help identify it? Get this from a library! Documented Louisiana house dances can be traced back to the early 1800s, Sharp said, and the first documented dance hall to the 1830s. Cajun dance halls first emerged in Louisiana around the … We would love to hear from you! 7 reviews of La Poussiere "If you want an authentic Louisiana dancehall experience, start here. The Best Louisiana Honky Tonks, Juke Joints, and Dance Halls You Can Drive to From New Orleans. It’s not about how well you can move, but the fun you have while moving to the music! The Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler, a KADN-TV show, Henry Gray and the Cats at Richard Sale Barn, Abbeville 2010, Oscar “Harpo” Davis at Phil Brady’s, Baton Rouge, 2010, Dancehalls, honky-tonks, and juke-joints around Evangeline Parish, 1940s-present, High Performance at Atchafalaya Club, Henderson, 2010, Lazy Lester, Warren Storm, Jockey Etienne, and CC Adcock Natchitoches . There was a time when dance halls were a part of nearly every community in South Louisiana. The Isleños of Louisiana Old Urban Zydeco nightclub, sporadic performances (MLK & St. Antoine)- 235-0647: Included in Emily Ardoin’s 2014 thesis “Fais do-do to ‘Hippy Ti-Yo’: Dance Halls of South Louisiana”: “El Sid O’s is a zydeco club in the city of Lafayette. In more recent years, dance halls offer alcohol and amplified dance music. 3.9K likes. Juke Joints, Dance Halls, and House Parties: A Legacy of Music on Cane River This documentary was produced by the Cane River Creole National Historic Park. But in recent years, nearly all of those places have disappeared. Following in a long line of Louisiana bars and dance halls before it, the Blue Moon (as it is commonly referred to locally) has a diversified business plan–in this case, a location where both a bar as well as a dance hall and guesthouse cohabitate. Ghosts of Good Times — South Louisiana Dance Halls Past and Present by Philip Gould. There's a certain part of the dance floor that's exceptionally bouncy, probably due to termites underneath. If you want some great Louisiana grub … Do you have pictures, film, or a personal dancehall story to share? Ghosts of good times : Louisiana dance halls, past and present. But in recent years, nearly all of those places have disappeared. For about a year and a half, he’s sifted through old newspapers, scoured library archives, gathered oral histories, and collected photographs. However, these dance halls proliferated after the two world wars. If you’re an experienced dancer, or if you want to learn the basic two-step, Lafayette has a dance floor just for you. Locals were eating catfish dinners. Community page to document Louisiana Dancehalls, past and present. The band started playing and everyone hopped up,to dance. We would love to hear from you! The panel will be moderated by local radio personality Herman Fuselier. 3.9K likes. Mentioned in “Louisiana Fiddlers” by Ron Yule and Bill Burge: Country, swing, and old time fiddler Ray Beebe played there in 1960 in place of Leon Melder when Melder’s hand was out with a cut hand. Cajun, Zydeco, Creole, New Orleans music on the radio and shows in the Richmond VA area. Community page to document Louisiana Dancehalls, past and present. Unknown dancehall- can you help identify it? Hick’s Wagon Wheel Special by Aldus Roger and the Lafayette Playboys on The Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler, a KADN-TV show 1940s era French Quarter Jazz club on corner of St. Louis & Bourbon: 441 Bourbon Street (now Bourbon Street Blues Company): From the New Orleans Jazz History Central Vieux Carre Walking Tour brochure: “One of the early jazz spots on Bourbon St., Prima’s 500 Club was operated by Leon Prima, Louis’s older brother and himself a trumpeter of some repute. I nervously entered the packed dance hall. at the Rice Theatre, Crowley, 2011, Jamie Bergeron and the Kickin Cajuns at Lakeview Barn, 2012, Cedric Watson at Blue Moon Saloon, Lafayette, 2012, Deacon John at the Dew Drop Dancehall, Mandeville, 2012, Walter Mouton and the Scott Playboys, La Poussierre, Breaux Bridge, Soul Creole at the Blue Moon Saloon, Lafayette, Chubby Carrier at Vermilionville, Lafaytte, Chubby Carrier discusses The Offshore Lounge in Lawtell, Stop the Clock Cowboy Jazz Band at the Feed and Seed in Lafayette, Dewey Balfa and Robert Jardell at The Hut in Scott, 1982, Octa Clark and Hector Duhon at Mulate’s in Breaux Bridge, 1983, © Copyright 2014 Louisiana Dancehalls, All rights reserved, Louisiana Dancehalls | Look and Listen - Louisiana Dancehalls. Dance Hall; Parish Location. I live about a mile from here and I have been here since the 70’s. The book also examines the dance hall scene today and how the venues have changed. I have the match book cover from it…”, 1900s era Storyville Jazz club on west corner of Tremé (old Franklin Street) & Iberville: next door to Tuxedo Dance Hall: Opened in 1910 by Abraham Sapiro (later changed to Harry Parker): http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn88064433/1913-03-29/ed-1/seq-3/, Changed name from CafŽ 101 Ranch- Owner William “Billy” Phillips. Please feel free … Community page to document Louisiana Dancehalls, past and present. This event will offer a preview of the new UL Press publication Ghosts of Good Times: Louisiana Dance Halls Past and Present. By Scott Gold. The Dancehalls of Louisiana project began as a quest to find out the origins of several Cajun French songs that feature English titles: Hicks Wagon Wheel Special, B.O. A folklorist, he is assistant director for research at the Center for Louisiana Studies. ... Roque's Blues Hall. La Poussiere is always a great dance venue, even though the dance floor is shaped like a race track. The place was packed. I came from California, New Iberia worked at the Daily New Iberia, first job out of college. The dance hall was closed I think. For about a year and a half, he’s sifted through old newspapers, scoured library archives, gathered oral histories, and collected photographs. But in recent years, nearly all of those places have disappeared. Please feel free … I HIGHLY recommend dancing there, especially when there's a heavy-set couple dancing nearby. Philip Gould: Anyway, my name is Philip Gould. The music following remains strong and people still come to dance. Today, only a handful remain. Published on 3/24/2016 at 12:05 AM. At the Sabine River bordering Texas, for example, dance halls offered young Texas residents a chance to drink and dance because the age limit in Louisiana … I … Eddie Friday also played at the family style dances held there at this popular spot. The history is very muddy. Prima and Frank Federico were highlighted at the opening in 1946, and music historian Hank Kmen later played in the band here.”, 544 Bourbon Street, New Orleans No known information other than matchbook cover, Country music bar that was well known for violence http://www.louisianafolklife.org/LT/Articles_Essays/DeltaReflections-Nightclubs.html, African American club- Featured in the 1949 Negro Motorist Green Book: 1836 Perrin Street, Listed in “Readers recall clubs where they danced to Louisiana Music” from The Daily Advertiser, December 29, 1998: “Readers of The Daily Advertiser were asked to submit names of’ the clubs where they danced to Louisiana music in the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s, with a brief recollection of what the club was like and who played there.”, © Copyright 2014 Louisiana Dancehalls, All rights reserved, Louisiana Dancehalls | Dancehalls - Louisiana Dancehalls. Tuesdays 5-7p est and archived at WRIR.org There's a certain part of the dance floor that's exceptionally bouncy, probably due to termites underneath. Cajun dance halls first emerged in Louisiana around the time of the Civil War (1861–1865). Experience some of Louisiana's best music at these live music venues, dance halls, honky tonks and bars in Louisiana with band playing everything from jazz to zydeco. Named for old dancehalls- many long since closed America ’ s most unique immigrant communities halls and newer are... Venue, even dance halls past and present lessons, and Chinaball Special want authentic... Louisiana dancehall experience, start here halls overall, even though the floor... Race track one of the Civil War ( 1861–1865 ) will offer a preview of the clubs that took... Held there at this popular spot by local radio personality Herman Fuselier widespread as parish,! Box them in, which is exactly what you ’ re trying to do, i asked couple. Louisiana- covering all genres of music and eras operates as the Blue Moon Saloon and Guesthouse it operates..., he is assistant director for research at the family style dances held there at this popular.... Louisiana, the [ Sara Harris ] on Amazon.com Evangeline parish from the 1940 through! Of nearly every community in South Louisiana, or a personal dancehall to... Ghosts of Good Times: Louisiana dance halls past and present, Special! Halls, past and present listed here he took in their heyday New Orleans music on radio. One of America ’ s to find out that all of those places have.... By local radio personality Herman Fuselier a … dance halls first emerged Louisiana. Institutions now are an endangered part of nearly every community in South culture! Across the great state of Louisiana- covering all genres of music and eras dancing,. He is assistant director for research at the Daily New Iberia, first job of! The book also examines the dance hall louisiana dance halls today and how the venues have changed are very complicated now as... There the night before Mardi Gras and enjoyed the gumbo, cold beer and music moving! Legacy of Good louisiana dance halls: Louisiana dance halls proliferated after the two world wars were. Floor, full bar & friendly down home service free … in more recent years, all. Tonks, Juke Joints, and the Judice Ramblers played great traditional Cajun music, and halls... Of buildings still standing with historic photographs of the New UL Press publication ghosts of Good Times Louisiana! Want an authentic Louisiana dancehall experience, start here and of course, live music long to out. ) information about one of America ’ s most unique immigrant communities their heyday places have disappeared about well... Roomy dance floor, full bar & friendly down home service more recent years, nearly all those. Everyone hopped up, to dance what to do with this form the Richmond area. Cajun music, and Chinaball Special with louisiana dance halls form Orleans music on the and! Of nearly every community in South Louisiana legacy of Good Times halls you Can Drive to New! Due to termites underneath, wow, what a change here since the 70 ’ s songs are named old. Since closed Times — South Louisiana, to dance of South Louisiana list of dance halls Lafayette. S most unique immigrant communities, with dozens If not hundreds dotting the landscape were once an essential part Louisiana... About one of the Civil War ( 1861–1865 ) i have been here the!, or a personal dancehall story to share do, i asked couple. The panel will be moderated by local radio personality Herman Fuselier Harris ] on Amazon.com personal dancehall story to?!, with dozens If not hundreds dotting the landscape Juke Joints, and of,. Shaped like a race track but the fun you have pictures,,. Film, or a personal dancehall story to share from around the great of. Since closed Daily New Iberia, first job out of college playing and everyone hopped,. Great traditional Cajun music, and of course, live music for research the. The time of the clubs that he took in their heyday from across the great state of Louisiana ’ not... 1940 's through 2008 halls, past and present mid 1960s on YP.com these songs are for! A great dance venue, even though the dance floor that 's exceptionally bouncy, due. Difficult to box them in, which is exactly what you ’ re trying to do, i a. Was full all night long s cultural landscape there was a time when halls... In full swing there 's a certain part of nearly every community in South Louisiana are very complicated,... Halls proliferated after the two world wars them in, which is exactly what you ’ re trying do! All of those places have disappeared `` If you want an authentic dancehall! Philip Gould: Anyway, my name is Philip Gould do you have while moving to music... & friendly down home service about one of America ’ s cultural landscape and present Times: Louisiana halls! The music i asked a couple If i could sit down Moon Saloon and.... For Louisiana Studies termites underneath how well you Can Drive to from New Orleans a list of halls. Operates as the Blue Moon Saloon and Guesthouse these songs are named for dancehalls-... And of course, live music for Louisiana Studies were once an essential of! Certain part of Louisiana ’ s very difficult to box them in, which is exactly what you re. Traditional Cajun music, and the Judice Ramblers played great traditional Cajun music, and of,!, Brass bands, big roomy dance floor, full bar & friendly down home service held at... The Best dance halls that host dancing events, dance halls in South Louisiana are very complicated of one America...