Personally, my favorite is The Drop of Water, with I Wurdulak coming in second place. In essence, we create our own horror. Excerpts from AIP’s pressbook for ‘Black Sabbath’. Godzilla, King of the Monsters! In the same manner and vein as The Tell Tale Heart. The film and Bava himself are often referred to … It’s not a terrible story, but it’s not all that special, either. For better or worse, these versions demand preservation for their historical significance, and their complex production stories often muddy the water in what has previously been a black and white conversation of their quality. Mario Bava’s Black Sabbath (I Tre Volti Della Paura) is a 1963 anthology horror film, featuring three tales of terror. The first scene of a film must grab you. Following a bungled robbery, three violent criminals take a young woman, a middle-aged man, and a child hostage and force them to drive them outside Rome to help them make a clean escape. Fun Facts About Paul Verhoeven’s ‘Hollow Man’ As The Film Turns 20 In 2020! In this critic’s humble opinion, this makes for a much stronger opening. View production, box office, & company info. features over-lit sets that deny any chance of the brilliant use of shadows that Bava flaunts in his other work. Consisting of three separate tales, Mario Bava’s Black Sabbath is a considerably a more influential picture than you might think. enjoyed a fairly wide release in the English-speaking world – even if some critics weren’t entirely impressed. , there was just something that I couldn’t get into. When it came to. This brings me to what I wish had been kept from the Italian original. However, Bava wasn’t exactly an amateur, having worked as a cinematographer on many comedies and dramas since 1943. The irreplaceable Boris Karloff addressed the audience. In The Telephone, which is essentially a giallo thriller, a young woman, Rosy (Michelle Mercier), is repeatedly called on the telephone by a man who claims to be watching her. Its also the most romantic of the three tales. Jacqueline Pierreux is fabulous as the fearful and guilt conscious nurse, Helen Corey. You think Godzilla is bad? Meanwhile, Godzilla, King of the Monsters! If Bava’s work shows anything, it is his design and lighting prowess. Following this particular experience, perhaps it’s time that I revisited the English-dubbed version of Godzilla Raids Again (1955), the sensationally titled Gigantis the Fire Monster…wish me luck. There should be something here for you! Such gimmicks make one aware of just how rich an experience it must have been to have seen this in a theatre in 1963. You must have only seen the bad English version with Raymond Burr!