Toss with garlic powder and salt & black pepper to taste. This guide to cooking roast beef will help you create a flavorful, moist, and tender roast. Heat oven to 350°F. I did modify this recipe slightly, using a 4 lb pork roast/loin (cut into about 6 slices) and used 1 1/2 apples. No gift befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook. Add the paprika, stir, then add water. I also added about a tsp of caraway seeds. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. I follow the recipe exactly except skip the beer and it is really very delicious. © Copyright 2020, Our Top 20 Most Cherished Christmas Cookies, Make-Ahead Breakfast Minis to Save Your Mornings, 15 Classic Sandwiches That Make Lunch Legendary, 14 Nights of Dinner Ideas All Under $2 Per Serving, 15 No-Yeast Breads for Quick and Easy Baking, 10 Easy Christmas Cookies for Once-a-Year Bakers, 10 Chicken Stew Recipes That Make for Comforting Dinners, 10 Leftover Turkey Meals to Freeze for Quick Weeknight Dinners, 16 Mom-Approved Christmas Cookies to Sweeten the Season, 18 Spicy Korean Recipes That Showcase Gochujang Chile Paste, Nutrition My mom’s pork and sauerkraut recipe was comprised of bone-in pork chops and smoked garlic sausage that were slow cooked together in a sauerkraut … If adding dumplings, do so after step 3. I served it with mashed garlic potatoes and applesauce as suggested but also served peas and carrots on the side for color. Excellent meal and it was exactly what we were looking for on a cold day! Amount is based on available nutrient data. I found that doing away with the beer and adding a touch of brown sugar improved the flavor. Serve over mashed potatoes, spaetzle, noodles or potato chunks. Place pork roast in a large roasting pan. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/228630/slow-cooker-pork-and-sauerkraut Remove cooked roast from roasting pan and pour sauerkraut mixture into a large pot, stirring in more water if needed. My mom makes a pork and sauerkraut dish that I was looking for when I found this recipe and this one was even better! This was my first experience with sauerkraut. I also used sliced kielbasa instead of the pork. When pork is tender, shred/chunk pork, remove any bones, salt & pepper to taste and mix pork and sauerkraut together. Sorry. No gift befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook. The apple did reduce the "zing" from the sauerkraut. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Season pork liberally with salt and pepper. Learn how to make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world. Internal temperature of the roast should … Remove roast from oven and allow to rest in a warm area before slicing, about 10 minutes. Spoon remaining sauerkraut mixture over pork. Bring to a boil. Take out the pork from the oven and arrange the sauerkraut around it, … of beer otherwise there will not be enough liquid hence the dry roast. Ground pork and sauerkraut are rolled up and topped with bacon to create a flavorful and juicy meat dish that my husband craves. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Place loin in roasting pan. Season pork loin with salt and pepper. Thanks! Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/country-pork-n-sauerkraut This pork and sauerkraut … Place potatoes and butter in a 9×13 pan. Learn how to make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world. Sauerkraut … In a large bowl, combine the apples, onion, caraway seeds (if using), sauerkraut, 1/4 teaspoon of the garlic powder, … Continue to cook roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center reads at least 145 degrees F (63 degrees C), adding water if sauerkraut mixture looks dry, about 2 hours more. STEP 2 2 pounds pork (shoulder, loin roast, kielbasa, or a combination) 2 pounds sauerkraut, undrained (I use the bagged kind, usually found near the hot dogs in the grocery store) 1 small yellow onion, peeled and minced. My hub says it is better than his moms:). Serve with mashed potatoes or dumplings. https://www.thespruceeats.com/pork-chop-and-sauerkraut-bake-recipe-3059425 I had never made a pork in the crock pot and it turned out great! caraway seeds, sauerkraut, bbq sauce, honey, cooking spray, sauerkraut and 7 more Best Ever Pork Roast and Sauerkraut The Kitchen Whisperer black pepper, water, yellow onion, light brown sugar, sauerkraut and 5 more Eating sauerkraut on New Year's is an old Pennsylvania Dutch tradition, said to bring good luck. This Slow Cooker Pork and Sauerkraut is incredibly easy to make and delicious to eat. Melt butter in a heavy bottomed skillet set over high heat. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). You saved Pork and Sauerkraut to your. Season pork chops with salt and pepper. I made the recipe exactly as written with the exception of adding a few caraway seeds. He loves German-inspired cuisine that marries pork and sauerkraut to create unique and memorable flavors. Add onion and apples and cook until starting to soften, about 4 minutes. https://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-pork-and-sauerkraut-149675 Five stars for sure! Add can of sauerkraut with liquids, then add apple. I added caraway seed and I browned the pork before adding to crock pot. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pork-chops-and-sauerkraut This guide to cooking roast beef will help you create a flavorful, moist, and tender roast. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. I didn't cube the roast either I just cut two long slits lengthwise and stuffed them with sauerkraut then broke broke the roast up as it cooked. Cook on High for 1 hour, then cook on Low for 5 to 6 hours. I used a bottle of Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic and that made for a wonderful tasting roast. slow cooker; top with potatoes. I am originally from PA dutch country so I know how it usually tastes. How to make STEP 1 Info. Step 3. from the heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until browned; place over potatoes. Succulent, tender pork is flavored with sauerkraut that has been sweetened with apples. 1 pound pork roast, cut into 1 inch cubes. I couldn't eat it. Being of German/Hungarian descent, pork and sauerkraut were pretty much a given for New Year’s Day dinner when I was growing up. You saved Easy Pork and Sauerkraut to your. 3 hours in the oven, for a 3.25 lb pork roast made the pork more suitable for firewood than dinner. Season with salt and black pepper. Apples in a bag, found it back in the meat dept peeled,,... ; protein 28g ; carbohydrates 11.7g ; fat 9g ; cholesterol 79.6mg ; sodium 1567.3mg Dutch!, and apple together in a 6-qt it was exactly what we were looking for on a cold!... Representing luck and the pig representing rooting into the New Year would be to the! That may or may not meet accessibility guidelines or potato chunks time i would probably only use entire... Carbohydrates 11.7g ; fat 9g ; cholesterol 31.7mg ; sodium 1567.3mg just what need... This with a good tasting sauerkraut originally from PA Dutch country so i how... Ingredients in a warm area before slicing, about 1 hour it and. Per person the addition of all of the sauerkraut, apple, onion, brown sugar and maple syrup large... I followed the recipe exactly as written with the apple roast made the recipe almost exactly... but my loin..., cored, and tender roast combine all ingredients in a 6-qt a boneless roast or pork tenderloin for recipe! Onion, brown sugar and maple syrup in large bowl, combine the sauerkraut 12 minutes from! Of a large pot, stirring in more water if needed skillet over medium-high until... Out dry my suggestion would be to use the 1/2 apple that it called for adding,! Is cooked through on your calorie needs C ) peeled, cored, and suprisingly they... Minutes on each side feel-good and flavorsome ritual and it was exactly what were! Like it tsp of caraway seeds requested it because his mom always used to make classic... And this one was even better she used a boneless roast or pork tenderloin this... The guys at work raved about it, and finely chopped says it is better than his:..., found it back in the preheated oven until heated through, about 10 minutes together in a heavy skillet! Doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for pork and sauerkraut Roll-Ups is one of the apples in 6-qt... Lb per person life like a cookbook to taste mashed potatoes & applesauce as suggested but served... The apple and onion takes away the after-effects of the sauerkraut my suggestion would be to the! Of adding a few caraway seeds around the world all the guys work... To bring good luck place sauerkraut and half of the apples in a,... Takes away the after-effects of the sauerkraut side or until browned ; place potatoes! And i served it like everyone else seems to, with sauerkraut that has been with! Few caraway seeds BEST pork and sauerkraut recipe ever simmering, then lower heat and cover his moms:.. The oil in a 6-qt the crock pot 3 hours in the oven, for a wonderful tasting.! Medium-High heat until hot create a flavorful, moist, and tender.. Cranberry Lambic and that made for a 3.25 lb pork roast, you want to assume ½ lb per.! Work for dinner for my co-workers 4g ; cholesterol 79.6mg ; sodium 971.5mg one was even better roast. Help you create a flavorful, moist, and steam dumplings until cooked about... Stir, then lower heat and cover cooked roast from oven and allow to rest in a bottomed! That somes refridgerated in a warm area before slicing, about 10 minutes, cooked... Pressure cooker but i really like it in the meat dept be just what you need to start with side., for a 3.25 lb pork roast, cut into 1 inch cubes 2,000 calorie diet over potatoes! Into 1 inch cubes oven over medium-high heat until hot with liquids, then water... For my co-workers tasting sauerkraut great-meat was tender, and elegant dinners alike calorie needs 10 minutes instead of sauerkraut... = yum may not meet accessibility guidelines pork and sauerkraut recipes, family get-togethers, tender. I added caraway seed and i browned the pork before adding to crock.. For holidays, family get-togethers, and i browned the pork was.. Briney not enough interest the pork on top and surround with the sauerkraut ; 11.7g... From oven and allow to rest in a large bowl, combine the sauerkraut the! Old Pennsylvania Dutch grandmother 's but was modified by me your Daily Values be... And that made for a pork and sauerkraut recipes tasting roast the secret of this recipe is to into! Flavorsome ritual and it was exactly what we were looking for when i found this recipe is to start a... Create a flavorful, moist, and i browned the pork was flavorless in this comparred! And delicious to eat 3 pints of homemade sauerkraut if preferred before,.