On top of that, amalgam fillings can eventually cause a tooth to become fractured. Dental Technology, Advanced How do these fractures happen? Nov 30, 2018. Dentist for My Child, I am Concerned Cold would make the mercury shrink in size and “fall” in the thermometer. However, the physical properties of mercury are not in doubt. We use a special curing light source to accelerate the bonding process. Then have a cup of coffee. The larger the amalgam filling, the more likely you are to have a fracture or cracked tooth syndrome. Our doctors and team at Flawless Smile Dentistry in both Claremore and Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, provide an amazing dental experience while keeping it accessible and affordable. (CNN) The US Food and Drug Administration warned Thursday that silver dental fillings, known as dental amalgam, may cause health problems for … Historically, the choices for dental restoration materials were limited. This happens when the crack has propagated down the root or toward the pulp enough to affect your nerves. Office, Advanced The larger the amalgam filling, the more likely you are to have a fracture or cracked tooth syndrome. Sometimes the cracks or the amalgam fillings are too big for this to help and a crown is the recommended treatment. Financing, In-House Savings Plan, Request an A tooth that has already developed sensitivity to either cold or chewing can be difficult to bring back to “the land of the living.”. They have a similar expansion rate as your tooth, which means that the composite filling material will expand and contract just like your tooth with any temperature variations. Then we make a solid all-porcelain piece to fit the space and bond it into the tooth. Recently, though, doctors and patients alike have been moving away from them and towards composite fillings, also known as tooth-colored fillings. Because your tooth doesn’t expand and contract with the metal filling, and it is more brittle than amalgam, it eventually develops cracks. Safety Protocol Dentistry, I Need a Checkup & Hey FSD family! We look forward to serving you! Once this pulp is damaged a root canal is the only way to save the tooth. There have been a number of scientific disputes (referred to as the amalgam war) over the health concerns of using mercury, but the American Dental Association has always defended the safety of amalgam fillings. Text message is limited to 160 characters. Sitemap, Cosmetic, Implant, Restorative, and General Dentistry. A tooth that has old mercury fillings requires some upgrades in order to get the tooth to last. They expand and contract, which can cause teeth to crack. WednesdayClosed This has to do with how amalgam fillings expand. They mimic the appearance of your teeth and are usually used for front teeth. What are the Alternatives? We use magnification and intraoral photographs to evaluate the damage from amalgam fillings. Conversely when you have something cold to eat or drink such as ice cream, your filling contracts leaving a gap around it. In the same way that mercury expands and contracts in a mercury thermometer, this too can happen in mercury amalgam fillings. Temperature changes within your mouth, which makes the filling expand & contract. Then we make a solid all-porcelain piece to fit the space and bond it into the tooth. The Real Danger with Silver Fillings. Home » Blog » Can Amalgam Fillings Cause Fracturing? I like to think of an onlay as a “mini-crown.”. Also, white composite fillings are bonded into the tooth cavity, which means there are no gaps around the edges (see picture 3, Dr Dirk has placed a new white composite filling repairing the clients cracked tooth). What does that mean for your tooth? Why do we recommend regular dental cleans? The larger the filling is, the more it will expand outward. Veneers, I Want a Straighter Through the years, the definitive treatment on an old mercury-filled tooth has been to crown or “cap” the tooth. However, modern dental medicine has advanced to the point that we can offer our patients a much better option for filling holes caused by tooth decay. Interestingly, the concerns over mercury in amalgam fillings date back to 1843. Teeth Removed, I am Interested in Sleep Traditionally, dentists have used what’s known as amalgam, or special metal alloys, to fill cavities. Solomon Dental Group does not place amalgam fillings and does not inventory, or have on the premises, materials for making or placing amalgam fillings. Solomon, DDS, Helen © 2020 Richard Crosby - Designed & Developed by Golden Proportions Marketing - Log in, 3111 Denali St, Suite 202, Anchorage, Alaska 99503, 5 Signs That You Need to See Your Dentist, 3 Quick Tips to Improve Your Dental Routine, How to be at the Spa Instead of the Dentist, 7 things I’ve learned in 20 years of dentistry. The obsessive-compulsive disorder in some dentists – me included – sometimes forces us to get carried away with creating teeth as natural looking as possible, even on teeth and/or on areas of teeth that no one besides dentists and hygienists will ever see. Teeth and fillings expand and contract at different rates. The silver fillings are 50% mercury and a lot of people are worried about the poisonous effects, but the jury is still out about whether or not mercury locked in a solid state is harmful. We do not promote or advise patients to remove or replace amalgam fillings or otherwise plan amalgam removals unless such fillings have failed in an unexpected or emergency circumstance in the judgment of a dentist at Solomon Dental Group. Over time, something has to give. Enamel which is the outer layer of tooth structure is basically a crystal and does not react to temperature changes at all. Friday8:00 am - 3:00 pm, Community Like all hard materials, tooth structure is affected by stress; repeated biting or chewing can … Often, when a filling expands it has to do with temperature—hot and cold liquids for instance. This can happen with or without associated pain. Silver fillings are still placed by dentists because they are cheaper and faster. Team, Tour Our Dental